IBM Connections Files plugin not working within Notes when TLSv1.2 is enforced

After enforcing TLSv1.2 on our internal Connections 5.5 servers the Files plugin would not work.

In the IHS logs I would see errors such as

[warn] [client 80.229.222.90] [7f9a700a7060] [21173] SSL0222W: SSL Handshake Failed, No ciphers specified (no shared ciphers or no shared protocols). [xx.xx.xx.xx:62899 -> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443] [09:45:11.000102454] 0ms

Enabling trace on IHS showed that the protocol being used was TLSv1.0 which matched Wireshark output. Oddly Status Updates and Activities plugins use TLSv1.2.

“GET /files/basic/api/library/4a7a7240-8f68-44d8-9447-7410cc2bb467/feed?pageSize=300&acls=true&sI=601 HTTP/1.1” 200 168770 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA TLSV1

I then had to allow TLSv1.0 until I could get an explanation from IBM.

Finally IBM came back with the following two lines to be added to the notes.ini.

SSL_DISABLE_TLS_10
DISABLE_SSLV3=1

Now in access_log I see TLSv1.2 being used.

“GET /files/basic/api/library/4a7a7240-8f68-44d8-9447-7410cc2bb467/feed?pageSize=300&acls=true&sI=601 HTTP/1.1” 200 168770 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 TLSV1.2

IBM also suggested that I check the following was set in plugin_customization.ini, which it was.

com.ibm.documents.connector.service/ENABLE_SSL=true

The notes.ini values have been pushed out to my colleagues via Domino policies.

Touchpoint problem due to no search index

A new Connections customer got in touch with a raft of problems after an upgrade to Connections 6. One of them was a problem with Touchpoint which stopped them from completing the on boarding process which caused them to repeatedly be directed to Touchpoint. What was happening was that they were able to get two or three screens in to “Add your interests” and then they couldn’t go further and had to use “finish later” or they were faced with “Error during prefetching for step profileTags.”

A quick Google of “profileTags” turned up references to search within Connections. I checked the index (which I hadn’t got around to doing just yet) and I didn’t find INDEX.READY. The search index had not been created due to LTPAToken exceptions which needed the scheduled tasks to be cleared and all clearScheduler.sql scripts run. Once the search index was created Touchpoint worked.