The importance of Java and Cognos with IBM Connections

During an install of Connections 4.5 I came across a problem when Configuring the IBMConnectionsMetricsAdmin role on Cognos which required me to disable anonymous access in the Cognos Configuration tool (Local Configuration -> Security -> Authentication -> Cognos to set Allow anonymous access? -> False) and save.

On saving I was getting the following error in the client.

2014-03-19_101919

I had previously applied 10.1.1 FP001 and believed something had happened during the upgrade.

Googling came up with some suggestions all around cryptography with How to Regenerate Cryptographic Keys seemingly the best way to try and get this working. The problem was that I couldn’t export a copy of the configuration.

I tried various approaches including configuring cogstartup.xml manually removing the encryption variables so no password was set, nothing worked.

The more I Googled and researched IBM/Cognos forums the more Java was mentioned. After burning the best part of a day I started to look at what version of Java was being used.

I have installed on CentOS (not supported I know) and the version of java is as follows.

[root@cognos ~]# java -version
java version “1.7.0_09-icedtea”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-2.3.4.1.el6_3-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

This is reading it from /usr/bin/java.

I didn’t set JAVA_HOME when installing Connections which installs Cognos so what version of Java is it using? I looked at the WebSphere SystemOut.log for the application server and noted that it is using the IBM JRE (/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/java).

After setting export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/java I could save my settings in the Cognos Configuration client.

Advertisements

Sametime Meeting server document conversion – Linux

OK, this really stumped me until I did a bit of searching and found some really useful posts which I have listed below.

The documentation in the infocenter tells you to copy true type fonts to the Linux server and set a number of paths:

PATH=$PATH:/opt/IBM/WebSphere/STMeetingsServer/stellent
export PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/IBM/WebSphere/STMeetingsServer/stellent
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
GDFONTPATH=/opt/IBM/WebSphere/STMeetingsServer/stellent/fonts
export GDFONTPATH

After adding the paths ensuring the paths were set permanently documents still wouldn’t convert. Reading the links below I found that I also had to add a path for Java to run, I used “/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/bin” since it was installed with WAS. It would be nice if IBM updated their documentation.

Sametime forum post

German Notes forum